가입 시 1만원 쿠폰 증정

About 목록

The art of seeing smells

I have been a creative director, a graphic artist if you like, all my professional life.
When I bought a house in London it was the first time I had had a garden to work in and I got very interested in making something special there.
Gardening drew me into smelling natural things.
It was crushed leaves and flowers that inspired me to go into natural perfumery, bringing all that is healing and uplifting in nature into fragrances.
저는 크리에이티브 디렉터, 그래픽 아티스트, 브랜딩 컨설턴트로서의 커리어삶을 살아왔습니다.
제가 돈을 모아 런던에 처음 집을 샀을 때, 전 처음으로 제 소유의 정원을 가지게 되었죠.
그리고 그 정원을 통해 특별한 것을 만드는 것에 매우 큰 흥미를 가지게 되었습니다.
바로 정원꾸미기였죠.
자연스럽게 향기들을 맡게되었고 부서진 나뭇잎들이나 가지, 그리고 피어난 꽃으로부터 수많은 영감을 받았습니다.
자연은 향기로부터 변합니다, 자연이 전달하는 향은 사람의 기운을 북돋아주고 힐링을 선사하죠.
My approach to making a good perfume resembles how I developed my garden.
The path was my starting point.
Space was limited, but I made one that wound sinuously across it.
I chose white crushed granite for this, edged with bronze to keep things neat.
In place of flat lawn I created broad curving borders with tall planting, so my path would be a thread along which surprise and discovery lay at every turn.

With the structure in place it took several years and many experiments to arrive at something pleasing from every point, and easy to maintain through a long s flowering eason.
When it comes to making perfume I am on the same quest for structure and beauty that arise organically and present a clear yet ever-changing thread, coherent, engaging and original.
좋은 향수를 만드는 나의 접근법은 제가 어떻게 정원을 꾸미고 발전시켰는지와 유사점이 많습니다.
그 길이 제가 조향을 하는 것의 모든 출발점이었죠.
공간은 한정되어있었지만, 저는 지속가능성을 염두하고 끊임없이 감아지는 공간으로 바꾸는데 많은 시간과 노력을 할애하였습니다.
저는 흰색컬러의 분쇄된 화강암을 골랐고, 청동으로 테두리를 두르며 깔끔하게 정리했습니다.
무미하고 평평한 잔디밭 대신, 저는 키가 큰 나무를 심어서 넓은 곡선의 경계를 만들었습니다.
그래서 제 길은 모든 방향에서 놀라움과 발견이 놓여있는 실타래로 변화되어갔죠.
제가 구상했던 정원의 모습을 갖춰가는데 꽤 오랜 시간이 들었고 그 사이엔 많은 실험들이 있었습니다.
모든 점에서 즐겁고, 꽃이 피고 시들고, 긴 계절 동안 변화되어가는 것들을 영감으로 받아들이는 시간이었죠.
향수를 만들 때, 저는 유기적으로 생겨나고, 명확하지만, 끊임없이 변화하는 실, 일관성 있고 매력있는 구조와 거기서 전달되는 독창성과 아름다움을 추구합니다.
I keep a sketch book of some of my perfume mods.
When things aren’t going so well I graph the odour impact and longevity of each ingredient in sequence.
Visualising scent this way can make it easier to focus on its impalpable, transient qualities.
It becomes obvious where things are out of balance, for example, and I can then decide how to remedy that.
Here is my sketch of Lantern Reed in its final formulation.
저는 제 향수의 모드가 기록된 스케치북을 가지고 있습니다.
조향 시, 일이 잘 풀리지 않는 것 같을때에는 각 성분의 향의 영향과, 지속수명을 순서대로 그래프로 표시해나가죠.
이러한 방식으로 향을 시각화하면 그 향기의 일시적 특성에 더 쉽게 집중할 수 있습니다.
예를들어, 균형이 맞지않는 부분이 명확해지면, 저는 그것을 어떻게 해결할지를 결정할 수 있습니다.
그리고 그 예시가 마지막 제형인 랜턴 리드의 스케치입니다.
Eventually all my perfumes should present a harmonious, elongated ripple when graphed.
I also sometimes turn to painting to evaluate my perfumes and check they are communicating the emotions I want.

Before using it to analyse and debug my own creations I developed this graphing and visualising practice with several excellent well-known perfumes that (I believe) use decent amounts of natural oils (since that is my chosen medium).
Here are five I have studied and which please me because, like the white path in my garden, they offer a journey from top note to base that is characterful, varied and structurally satisfying.
제가 조향하는 모든 향수는 그래프로 수치화 할때 조화로우면서도 길쭉한 파문이 나타나야한다고 봅니다.
저 역시도 자주 제가 조향한 향수를 평가하고, 향수들이 제가 원하는 감정을 전달 하고 있는지 확인하기 위해서, 다시 그림으로 눈길을 돌립니다.
제 창작물을 분석하고 디버깅하기 전에, 저는 꽤 많은 양의 천연 에센셜오일을 사용하는 유명한 향수 몇가지를 가지고 이 그래프와 시각화하는 방법을 고안했습니다.
제 정원의 하얀 길처럼, 그들은 특색있고, 다양하며, 구조적으로 만족스러운 탑노트에서 베이스노트까지로의 여정을 제공하기 때문에 그런 부분이 조향사로써 제가 기쁨과 만족을 느끼는 부분일겁니다.
A star awaits its birth Jacques Guerlain’s classic L’Heure Bleue is fabulously intriguing.
I see a soft powdery felt-like tapestry in the style of Paul Klee.
I am in awe of how the aniseed evokes the setting sun in the twilight hour, mingling with lovely florals that transit amazingly to a rich bed of sensual iris amber accord.
This evokes so tangibly the unwinding pause when work is over in the summer months, and feather-soft evenings stretch into nights as intense as they are short.
Romantic and suave, my white path take away is the inspired aniseed power: simple, subtly magical.

자크 겔랑의 고전인 L’Hure Blue는 정말 흥미로운 작품입니다.
폴 클레이 스타일로 부드러운 파우더 느낌의 태피스트리도 보이죠.
저는 아니스가 황혼의 시간에 지는 해를 어떻게 환기시키는지, 관능적인 홍채 호박색의 풍부함이 옮겨가는 경로에 경외감을 느낍니다.
이것은 마치 여름철에 일이 끝나고 깃털처럼 부드러운 저녁이 짧아진 밤 만큼 강렬함으로 확장될 때 풀리지 않는 일시적인 정지를 너무나 분명하게 표현해내고 있죠.
로맨틱하고 우아하게, 제가 지향하는 조향의 길은 영감을 받은 아니스의 힘이라고 생각합니다.
단순하지만 미묘한 마법 같은 힘이 있죠.
A trip to the wild side Robert Piguet Bandit by Germaine Cellier is a true avant-garde classic.
Its counterpoint, of artemisia and oakmoss - shares a green earthy path here between top and base.
Artemisia scowls at a bunch of rich florals including neroli and carnation, emphasising their tenderness, while oakmoss below mingles with animalic leather and civet.
This dark sexy shocker reminds me of Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut.
Tread carefully.

저메인 첼리에의 로버트 피게 밴디트는 진정한 아방가르드 고전입니다.
그 대위점은 아르테미시아와 참나무 이끼의 꼭대기와 바닥사이의 녹색흙길을 공유하죠.
아르테미시아는 네롤리와 카네이션을 포함한 풍부한 꽃다발을 보며 그들의 부드러움을 강조했고, 아래 오크모스는 동물성 가죽과 사향고양이의 체취와 섞여있습니다.
이 어둡고 섹시한 쇼커는 큐브릭의 아이즈와이즈셧을 떠올리게 합니다.
Tuberose magic Frederic Malle Carnal Flower by Dominique Ropion.
I love this for the eucalyptus, the lactonic facets and the overripe sensuality of tuberose by way of indole.
I see cooling camphor juxtaposing with the creamy florality of tuberose that makes this richly exciting.
Eucalyptus in this indeed got me thinking that when you buy your lovely roses it’s often eucalyptus leaves that accompany them and give a fresh vibe boost to the bouquet.

To enhance the natural sensuality, the indole adds a touch of adventure like an insect drawn to the wicked potency of the scent, transforming into a diamond along the way.
Secret Pleasure Hermessence Santal Massoia by Jean-Claude Elléna.
I must confess I love the smell of massoia oil, woodiness and creamy coconut in one.
I would gladly smell this all day. Sadly IFRA bans it.
I guess it’s evoked here using different lactones.
It captures the spirit of massoia beautifully, pairing it with a very fine Sandalwood.
I visualise an aura of sweet fruity notes, the olfactive equivalent of cracking into a prune-laced crème brûlée while reclining on a couch covered in white mink while looking up at pearl-roped chandelier.
Indulgence at a peak of luxe, and a lot fun.
Revel Rebel Trudon, Revolution by Lynn Harris.
It’s all amazingly intriguing but I especially love the use of Angelica root and Elemi, and smoky cade darkening the woody amber base.
Angelica root oil has the ability to encompass a composition from top to base.
The bitter earthiness and dry peppery notes at the top is tamed by citrus tinged elemi.
As it contains tridecanolide and exaltolide Angelica is one of the materials natural perfumers can use to create muskiness in the base.
Subtly animalic with labdanum, Revolution is a kind of hommage to France’s history of precipitating Europe into modernity.
The criss cross motif in this sketch, represents the danger and risk that we face as humanity.
A creation filled with courage, and for those in need of courage.
Praying for fireflies So what’s my own white path in Lantern Reed?
it’s grapefruit and vetiver.
Though a rich citrus oil, the nootkatone molecule in grapefruit is dry and bitter and pairs happily with Vetiver.
From that thread I suspend bergamot, myrtle, lemongrass, michelia leaf, orris and myrrh.
The grapefruit-vetiver hybrid gives a shimmering twilight atmosphere. When all is dark (in the drydown), comes the residue of the citrus.
Like waiting for fireflies, there is a moment of surprise and pleasure when it arrives.

And that’s my hope as a perfumer: to bring surprise and pleasure through perfume - fulfilling or inciting dreams that defy language or clear depiction, yet move us and take us on voyages of olfactive discovery that enrich and enlighten our sense of the possible.
Written by
Kershen Teo
Creative Directior and Nose of Prosody London.
케셴 테오 사진 크리에이티브 디렉터 / 조향사
KESHEN TEO

식물이 인간에게 줄 수 있는 치유를 긍정적으로 연구하고 자연으로부터 마음을 다스리고 자연 친화적인 삶을 살고 있는 케셴 테오는 향수가 모든 감각을 즐겁게 하고 하루하루 매력을 더해줄 수 있기를 바라며 순수함과 익스클루시브함이 공존하는 독특한 호사를 누릴 수 있게 창조적이고 유려한 프로소디라는 컨템포러리한 브랜드를 탄생시켰습니다.
주식회사 소공상사 양해도 02-2143-1605 psllgn@prosodylondon.co.kr 서울시 성동구 성수일로 77 B105호
은행명 010-357587-72704 예금주 주식회사소공상사 사업자 등록번호 120-87-81216 통신판매업신고번호 제 2021-서울성동-01703 호
[홈페이지 이용약관]